Now that leaves on a few trees are changing is the time to figure out where to go to see spectacular color in a few weeks and next month.
But if you don’t want to merely drive some place for fall color and then head back home then consider a vacation destination with great views, hiking, biking, fun shops and lots of lodging and dining choices.
Where: Door County, Wisconsin, near Green Bay
- · Good hiking and biking in state parks
- · Really good art galleries
- · Fun crafts and clothes shopping
- · Excellent dining choices
- · Beautiful views of Lake Michigan and Green Bay
. Lots of lodging choices
Where: Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois
- · Scenic overlooks, hilly terrain and interesting stone formations
- · Good hiking, biking in Giant City State Park
- · Shawnee Wine Trail tastings
- · Makanda, a delightful artist comunity
Where: Brown County, Bloomington area
- · Good hiking, biking and horseback riding in Brown County State Park
- · Fun crafts shops in Nashville
- · Scenic hills and Hoosier National Forest
- · Renown architecture in nearby Columbus
- . Indiana University has a beautiful campus (go on a non-football weekend)
Where: Wisconsin Dells on the Wisconsin River
- . Good river boat scenery
- . Nice hikes
- . Fun water-parks for kids
- . Interesting photo museum in town
- . Circus World in nearby Baraboo
Where: Traverse City/Sleeping Bear Dunes in northern Michigan below the UP
- · Good hiking in a scenic national park
- · Excellent wine trails
- · Wonderful dining choices
- · Beautiful views of Lake Michigan and Traverse Bay.
Fall color tips: For current Midwest color reports go directly to a state’s tourism site.
Wisconsin’s suggested scenic drives are at Travel Wisconsin.
Have a fun, safe trip!